Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Lemon Meringue Pie


A homemade pie is something quite special, I think, especially something with as many components as a lemon meringue pie. It needs careful, time-consuming preparation, each stage requiring fairly meticulous construction. For me, it's the kind of thing I love to make because it combines so many of the different methods used in baking: whipping, cooling, rolling, sieving etc. 

I made this for a BBQ at the weekend, finishing making the lemon filing and meringue whilst chatting in the kitchen with Mum and my aunty. I'm always nervous about making meringue, but it turned out to be fine. Even though I'm not usually fond of lemon-flavoured desserts, I actually rather enjoyed this; the crumbly crispness of the pastry given way to the unctuous sweetness of the lemon filling, the meringue light and fluffy on top. And, crucially, there were no soggy bottoms. Mary Berry would be proud. I used the recipe found here.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Lemon meringue pie is one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon meringue pie! The photos are nice.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you.